This week I have been thinking a lot about massage. Not the cheeky ones you pinch off your other half – I mean the sports, Thai and deep tissue offered around. Most of us have had a massage at some point in our lives – usually as a treat at a spa weekend or when we manage to coerce our partners into giving us a little back rub but have you ever considered the benefits of this little treat?
Why is massage good for you?
Research suggests that regular massages are actually very important to our bodies. They help relieve stress, aid with inflammation and can actively help promote health and well-being.
Our poor little backs take on so much pressure from our day to day lives. We rarely get the opportunity to look after our back because we cannot reach it ourselves. Unlike the rest of our body, we cannot reach all areas of our back which consist of some of the biggest muscles in the body.
So let’s have a look at what regular massage can do for our bodies…
- Back Ache – Regular massage can help with rehabilitating back problems. Sitting at a desk all day and using computers puts a strain on our neck and shoulders. Many of us do not sit correctly at a desk and do not get the opportunity to move around. This can lead to poor posture and muscle strain. Regular massage can release the muscles that become tight over time. This makes you feel less tired and relieve the aches that you may be feeling on a day to day basis
- Stress and anxiety – For the same reasons that a massage is relaxing, it can also soothe anxiety and depression. Massage reduces levels of the stress hormone cortisol, resulting in lifted spirits and often lower blood pressure. It can also boost the neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine, which are involved in depression.
- Weight-loss and Performance – Spending time in the gym lifting weights and doing HIIT can often lead to fatigue and muscle ache. When you have muscle ache your performance in the gym goes down by about 40%. Regular massage and sports massage can relieve muscle tension and elongate the tight muscles. This then allows you to push harder, faster and stronger in the gym and stay committed to your goals
- Sleep – For those who have had a massage – ever fallen asleep while on the table? Research suggests that massage promotes deeper sleep as it has an impact on your delta waves (the waves associated with a deep sleep)
- Immunity and lymphatic drainage – Regular massage helps with lymphatic drainage. The lymph system carries waste products away from the tissues in the muscles and body back to the heart. Regular massage also helps with the build up of toxins in certain muscles in the body and breaks these toxins down in order that they can flush out of the system. It’s also great if you have PMT!
Massage should be a regular occurrence in our lives – much like getting a facial!
However, if you are like and are thinking – I don’t have the time or money to find a good massage place near me. Or you may be worried about having a wonderful massage and then having to commute home – adding more stress to your day… well I have a little treat for you…
Let me introduce to you Urban Massage
Urban Massage is London’s top-rated mobile massage company. They deliver a range of professional massages on-demand, direct to your home and the best news is that they can be with you within the hour. You can choose your preferred treatment and therapist as well as treatment length, date and time.
What else is also great… you can get £20 off your first massage using this code:
I’ve been using this company a long time and I absolutely love them. They are a small company in London made up of a really cool team. They go above and beyond for customer satisfaction and will make you feel comfortable in any surrounding.
Free those muscles release your back and love your body. Make massage a regular part of your health and well-being. When work is taking it out of you, you need to take time out for yourself.